Thursday, November 21, 2013

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

"Is there any more pumpkin bread?"

"Well...How about I make cookies?"

I look up with a sheepish grin.

Look, the kitchen is the center of my home. I literally have to walk through it to get to my kids' bedrooms, the bathroom, the basement, the front door, the living room, the back door, everywhere. So, when I have two beautiful loaves of the above pictured bread sitting easily on the kitchen counter with a butter knife strategically placed next to the loaves, (so that I can more readily supply said bread for the family), it goes without saying that I will need to check in on the loaves to make sure they are feeling wanted, loved, and appreciated. Wouldn't you? Clearly, it is the right thing to do.
When you consider that this delightful bread embraces fall in all its pumpkin, spicy, chocolatey richness; that even the natural coloring of the bread echoes the comfortable, cheery browns, rusty oranges and golden glows of the heaven-sent fall that is upon us all, you will see how, logically, eating this bread is actually showing your appreciation for this autumnal beauty. You are literally becoming one with fall. Really, eating this bread is a moral obligation. Clearly, it is the right thing to do.

In all honesty, the only thing I don't like about this recipe is how much I like it. The last time I made it, I was smart and put a loaf in the freezer which was a lovely idea. The loaves thaw magnificently and taste just as fresh as the day you baked them. Plus, freezing a loaf was fantastic because when I got a craving for the bread again, I could just pull it out and slice it up! Unfortunately that was the day after I finished the first loaf. Clearly, it was the right thing to do.

Now to business, I've adjusted this recipe until I feel it is my own. Despite the fact that it is made with whole wheat flour, my family eats it willingly, and because it is made with whole wheat flour, I eat two thick slices for breakfast each morning. Yes, there is chocolate in there. But, to extend my rationalization, There isn't too much sugar, (just 1/2 cup per loaf), there is very little oil (1/8 cup per loaf), and it has this moist, irresistible texture which I am crazy about. Oh, and there are eggs, which clearly makes this bread breakfast-friendly. (Right, Bill Cosby?)

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Ingredients
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose, but then you can't eat the bread for breakfast)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon, ground
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
  • 1/4 tsp cloves, ground
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar 
  • 3/4 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (I like to use my homemade applesauce because it ROCKS!)
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 15 oz canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (or more) Semi-sweet or milk chocolate work. I love a combination of the two.
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease or spray 2 9"x5" bread pans and set aside.
  2. Combine flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a larger bowl, combine the sugars, eggs, sour cream, oil, applesauce, vanilla and pumpkin.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir until combined.
  5. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Bake 50-60 minutes until a plastic fork or skewer comes out clean or with only a few crumbs.
  7. Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing the loaves from the pan. 
 Bonne chance and freeze on!
Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment